THE LORDSHIP OF JESUS CHRIST
Scripture Reference: John 1:1
Sunday, 13th, August, 2017
People the world over are comfortable to accept the Lordship of God but when it comes to that of Jesus Christ, they give all manner of reasons why He cannot be equal with God. Some people argue that Jesus Christ is just one of the angels; some would say He is one of the lesser gods; and some would even say He’s one of the prophets. All manner of things are said as far as Jesus Christ is concerned. Even some Christians are comfortable only seeing and accepting Him as their saviour but do not see the Lordship of Jesus Christ. In such regard they do not regard Him as Lord over their lives. Such behaviour hinders us from accepting the whole package of salvation as salvation includes we accepting that Christ is our saviour and the Lord over our lives. It is wrong to quickly accept Jesus as the saviour of our sins but not quickly accepting Him as Lord over our lives. In John 1:1, the bible makes us understand that Jesus Christ is God; He is not an angel, a lesser god or any of the prophets some have alleged. In John 10:30, Jesus Christ acknowledges the fact that He is God. When we acknowledge the fact that God is the lord over our lives then we should equally do same about Jesus Christ. Acts 2:36, Romans 14:8-9, Philippians 2:8-11. Jesus Christ isn’t only the saviour but the lord of both the dead and the living. His lordship is a place of dominion, power and authority.
THINGS TO KNOW ABOUT THE LORDSHIP OF JESUS CHRIST.
1. Jesus Christ is Lord over all because He is God. Anything that has a name is ruled by Jesus Christ. If God’s throne is established in heaven then it means Jesus’s throne is established in heaven too. And if God is the lord over our lives then that also means Jesus is lord over our lives because Jesus is God. Anything we attribute to God, we can equally attribute it to Jesus Christ. So if you have Christ in you, you need not to live a mediocre life. The name Jesus rules over everything because the name carries dominion, power and authority. John 10:30, John 1:1-12, Psalm 103:19.
2. Jesus Christ is lord over all because in His human nature He has accomplished perfect obedience, has won salvation for us and has been given universal dominion as a reward. Christ’s obedience and focus on the will of God made Him die on the cross, win salvation for us and as a reward every knee must bow to Him and every tongue must confess that He is lord. Everything is under the feet of Jesus Christ, how then do we compare the angels, lesser gods and the prophets to Jesus Christ? Ephesians 1:20-23
3. Christ claims authority over both believers and unbelievers. Matthew 28:18-20.
4. We are to obey Christ in ALL things. If we want Jesus to have full access to our lives, we must be obedient to His word. Salvation comes first then follows obedience. Through obedience, we’re able to live right and be acceptable before God. Genuine obedience is the gratitude we offer to God because we’ve already been saved. In every aspect of our lives we’re to please Jesus. Romans 3:24, Ephesians 2:8; Galatians 5:22-23.
5. We are to serve Christ all the time, in all of our lives and in all our hearts. We cannot proclaim Jesus as our lord and personal saviour but continue to live in ways that do not please Him. Luke 6:46.
6. Through Christ God establishes a pronounced distinction between the church and other institutions on earth. The church isn’t just any business organization or social gathering where people meet to have fun. The church is Jesus’s kingdom on earth. We’re called the church because of Jesus Christ. The moment we take out Jesus out of the church then the church ceases to exist. Ephesians 2:6, 1 Thessalonians 5:23
Jesus is God and He’s equal to God. The same reverence we give to God must be given to Jesus Christ and also the Holy Spirit.
Our saviour and master Jesus, I thank You for the salvation that You’ve offered me freely. I thank You for dying on the cross to save me from my sins. Please I come to You this morning humbly asking that You become a greater part of my life. Take charge of everything I do and let my thoughts and actions be to glorify You only. In Your name I pray. Amen.