After Born Again, What Next?
The whole discussion on born again for sometime now has taken a nosedive. However, the truth remains that God still places an invaluable price on the reasons for one to be born again, and one good thing about this is that man massages this truth to suit his whims at his own detriment. You can’t be born again and continue to live your old lifestyle. But many times these things continue to happen because you’ve not been taught the right ways. Bible makes it clearer in John 3 that a certain man by name, Nicodemus, came to Jesus to ask Him certain questions. Jesus in His response told him that no man can enter into the kingdom of God except he be born again. This response as can be gleaned from the scripture threw Nicodemus into a state of confusion and that made him ask Jesus: how can a man be born when he’s old? Can he enter the second time into his mother’s womb, and be born? Jesus understanding where Nicodemus was coming from replied him by saying that except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God, and that which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit. When we read the above scripture carefully, certain observations can be made: one of them is that Nicodemus thought that to be born again is a physical exercise. Second is that to be born by your earthly parents doesn’t just qualify you as a child of God (see 2 Corinthians 5:17). Third is, except a man be born in the flesh he cannot be born in the Spirit. Fourth is, to be born of the flesh is not necessarily water baptism and water baptism does not make a person born again.
WHAT THEN DOES IT MEAN TO BE BORN AGAIN?
To be born again, you must as a matter of importance believe in the Lord Jesus Christ. You must confess Him as your Lord and Personal Savior. You’re then expected to live a life that’s different from your old life. There are things you used to do in the past that you must not do when you become born again. You must also understand that the moment you become born again your spirit is a new born baby therefore it must grow. Your spirit first goes through the stages of development. You don’t become a matured Christian just by giving your life to Christ. The stages of your spiritual development are:
1. The Spiritual Baby- 1 Peter 2:2 Just as the physical baby desires milk to grow, needs somebody to feed them, needs somebody to guide them, take care of them, your spirit also needs somebody to do all these for him. When you become born again, you need somebody who will feed and teach you the word of God, somebody who will pray for and with you. Don’t jump the process to do all these by yourself because sooner or later you’ll falter and might find if very difficult rising again.
2. Spiritual Childhood Stage – Ephesians 4:14 In the homes children don’t take responsibilities for anything; they don’t pay school fees; they also don’t pay utility bills and they’re likely to be lured by candies, etc. So it is also for the Christian who’s in the spiritual childhood stage. Such a person is expected to let’s say not pay tithe, offerings or partake in anything that concerns the growth of the church. Such a believer can be blown away by any wind of doctrine. However, such believers are changed with regular teaching of the word of God not by forcing them to take the above mentioned responsibilities.
3. Spiritual Adulthood Stage – Hebrews 5:14 Every person who’s of age is expected to take good care of themselves and those who are below them like their younger siblings. They pay their own utility bills and they take care of their own educational expenses for instance. The mature Christian is expected to do same. Such a person is expected to discern what is evil and good in the sight of God. Such a person studies the word, skillful in it, prays for himself and others, committed to his church and pays tithes and offerings, etc.
HOW TO DEVELOP YOUR SPIRIT
1. Studying the word: You cannot grow without the word. To grow you must first love the word and study it. It is the word that’s able to cause us to grow. Without the word of God there’s nothing we can do. In the beginning was the word and the word itself was God. Everything we see around us is because of the word. John 1:1.
2. Pray:You cannot grow in the Lord if you don’t love prayer. Prayer is the expression of our faith in the Lord. It is the fuel that greases your spirit.You cannot grow if you don’t make prayer your habit. Jude 2:20, Luke 18:1
3. Watch your company: Bible says that evil company corrupts good manners. You cannot grow your spirit if you’re particular about the people you associate with. To grow your spirit, find yourself a good company of believers who will remind you of your faith in the Lord.
4. Join a good church and be committed. Going to church is a blessing. Christ works on us as a group that’s why it is wrong to sit at home when you’re supposed to be at church.